Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pokémon

Greetings and salutations. I have a fun story for you, whoever you are, and I hope you enjoy it.

The year was 1998. I was a wee six year old little boy. It was Christmas, and as a wee six year old, I was incredibly excited for Santa Claus to visit my house and bring me presents. Christmas morning came and I could hardly contain myself. I wanted my presents, and I wanted them right away. I tore open my presents. Okay, not really tore, I was a very clean child, I didn't make many messes and whatnot. Anyway, I opened my presents and there it was. A Game Boy Color. 



I was incredibly excited and was very proud of my very first personal gaming device. But at that I didn't have any games . . . yet. I found my way to two smaller wrapped boxes. Under the decorative wrapping paper, I found amazing wonders, 151 of them. 






I was super excited to go on an adventure through Kanto with the very first 151 Pokémon. I remember going through the gyms, having trouble with the first two because I picked Charmander as my starter in Red Version (and Squirtle in Blue Version), taking down the nefarious Team Rocket, defeating the Elite Four and raising an amazing team (rather, amazing teams, since I had both versions) of Pokémon. I don't remember every Pokémon I caught or my exact team, but I still had an amazing time. 

Over time, I left my teams behind as I just stopped playing the games. I never did play Yellow Gold, Silver, or Crystal, the next games in the series, I did manage to get a hold of Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, the "reboot" of the series. I remember those games significantly better because they were only six, seven years ago. I didn't enjoy those as much as the first games, but they definitely had playability. 



It would be another few years when I would revisit my beloved Kanto. I received one of the remakes of the first generation, LeafGreen . I again found myself playing through the gyms, the caves, and those scoundrels of Team Rocket. I managed to build the best team ever, at least in my opinion; I had all three starters, Alakazam, Dragonite, and Pidgeot.







Sigh, good times, good times. 


Now at nineteen years old, I have again begun another adventure with the newest of the Pokémon. While Black is pretty fantastic, it won't hold the same place in my memories as the originals,  but it is a very solid addition to the series. I even went and purchased SoulSilver, which is the remake of Silver, and Platinum, just to indulge my inner six year old. I have no regrets in doing so, it makes my summer interesting and gives me something reasonably productive to do. That and reading, but that's another post for another time. 


So, a quick recap, using pictures! Pictures are very useful. 


I have played the following Pokémon games: 











And I regret nothing. I have had plenty of fun with these games, it was definitely worth investing my time and effort into these games. 


So, until next time, sleep tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment